Netflix blev grundlagt 29. august 1997, der skulle dog gå en del år før selskabet blev den streaming gigant vi kender i dag.
Selv om Netflix blev grundlagt i 1997, så skal vi dog frem til 14. april 1998 før NetFlix.com blev lanceret. Dengang var det med udlån af DVD skiver via posten og ikke streaming, som er det vi kender Netflix for i Danmark.
Netflix historien – 25 nedslag
Netflix har samlet 25 nedslag i deres historie, som du kan se herunder.
- On April 14, 1998, NetFlix.com launched.
- The first DVD shipped was Beetlejuice (March 10, 1998).
- The No. 1 most used profile icon globally: Boss Baby, 11 million profiles.
- The first Netflix DVD envelope was white, not red.
- One Netflix fan created a dress out of 1,500 DVD envelopes.
- In 2007, Netflix began streaming.
- On Jan. 6, 2016, Netflix went live in 130 countries simultaneously.
- The first Netflix Original was Lilyhammer.
- The show with the most MyList Adds is Money Heist.
- Subscriber No. 500,000 was invited to a company meeting and given a lifetime subscription.
- At one time, Netflix had over 70,000 “secret codes.” Today, we have 30,000. (Shh, it’s not a secret.)
- The original name for Netflix was Kibble — yes, like the dog food.
- Netflix invented the original streaming box but decided to spin it off into Roku.
- Following the launch of The Queen’s Gambit, there was a 125% increase in chess board sales.
- Netflix’s live experiences have played host to a whopping 42 marriage proposals around the world (and counting). The tally stands at 35 proposals from The Queen’s Ball: A Bridgerton Experience, 6 from La Casa de Papel: The Experience and 1 from Stranger Things: The Experience.
- The first Netflix game downloaded was Stranger Things: 1984.
- Netflix is available in 37+ languages and 190 countries worldwide.
- Netflix has offices in 28 cities across the globe.
- In 2015, binge-watch was declared the word of the year and was added to Merriam-Webster in 2017.
- The first recorded use of the phrase “Netflix and chill” was in a tweet by “NoFaceNina” (La Shanda Rene Foster) on Jan. 21, 2009.
- The iconic Netflix sound was nearly a bleating goat before landing on tudum.
- There was a campaign for “Netflix socks,” which detected when you fell asleep and paused the show or movie you were watching.
- Netflix had its own awards show called The Flixies.
- In 2021, Ben & Jerry’s created a Netflix & Chill’d ice cream flavor.
- Squid Game is Netflix’s most popular title ever.